The Regions Tradition will tee it up once again on the beautiful rolling hills of Greystone Golf and Country Club. Thousands of fans will come out to see Hall of Fame golfers compete through Sunday’s final round. On Wednesday, they can catch a glimpse or get an autograph from some of their favorite celebrities and coaches.
Here are 18 things that you to help you enjoy this week’s Regions Tradition:
- The Regions Tradition runs from May 8-12 at Greystone Golf and Country Club. May 8 is the tournament’s pro-am; competitive play begins Thursday, May 9.
- Gates open at 7 a.m. for Wednesday’s Regions Tradition Celebrity Pro Am. This year’s celebrities include college football coaches Nick Saban, Gus Malzahn and Kirby Smart. Also participating: Widespread Panic lead singer John Bell, 1985 Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
- Paul Finebaum will be on-site for the pro-am on Wednesday, interviewing celebrities and more for his SEC Nation/ESPN Paul Finebaum Show.
- Food, beverages and tournament merchandise are available at the event. Check out the Watering Hole overlooking the 10th green for great views and more.
- The Regions Tradition is one of the PGA TOUR Champions majors — and the first one of the year.
- Tickets for the event are $25 – good any day – and can be purchased at regionstradition.com
- All active and retired military, and their guest, receive free grounds access all week.
- Children under 18 also are admitted free with a ticketed adult.
- Last year’s winner, Miguel Angel Jimenez, returns to defend his 2018 Regions Tradition title. Jimenez won last year’s tournament by 3 strokes, finishing 19-under.
- Jimenez is sometimes referred to as the most interesting man in golf, based on his love for cigars, wine and steak.
- Since the Regions Tradition began in 2011, more than $5 million has been raised for charity, with the largest levels of support going to the tournaments primary beneficiary – Children’s of Alabama.
- Saturday night The Black Jacket Symphony will present the Rolling Stones’ Sticky Fingers album at the Watering Hole on the 10th
- Other players expected to play include John Daly, two-time champ Bernhard Langer, Vijay Singh, Retief Goosen, Fred Couples and more.
- Public parking is available with shuttle service to the course – 300 Corporate Parkway Birmingham 35242. Look for signs as you come down Highway 280 toward Greystone.
- Rather use Uber and Lyft? Use the address 4100 Greystone Drive, Birmingham 35242.
- More than 1,000 individual volunteer each year to help support the tournament, helping with everything from standard bearing to working hospitality venues to assisting players and much more.
- Each year, Regions Bank lights the Regions Center downtown with the image of a golfer in advance of the tournament. Its’s visible from 8 p.m. until midnight, through the end of the tournament.
- The roots of the Regions Tradition in Birmingham go back more than 25 years to the Bruno Memorial Classic and, later, to the Regions Charity Classic.